...Adventure begins...

Thursday, January 05, 2006

...Another Adventure

So, it has been a few months since I left Europe. I gained lots of experiences and lost my retainer (!), my memory card, and around $300. I will never scoff a waist-pouch again. Or I will just be a hypocrite and STILL scoff waist-pouches (since they truly are horiffic) and just wear one secretly. I did not want to continue this once I returned home, because it is
1- Way too addictive, and
2- WAY too dangerous. The temptation to write things that the world does not really need to know forever is ever present.

However, luckily for me, I can start blogging (see, I even remembered the lingo) again, as I am leaving in two weeks for South Africa.

Yes, South AFRICA. Where the Elephants and lions dwell. Also where my sister dwells, so I am going to stay for a couple of months and have more adventures.
It is actually just a happy coincidence that my sis lives there - I am going to sing in the UNISA voice competition. Actually, I am being flown to South Africa to sing in the UNISA voice competition. I am also doing a bunch of other concerts while I am there. It will be an interesting time, though I am have so much to do before I go.

First thing I have to plan is what to bring for sister. She has given me a list of requests, and I, as a good older sister, am doing my best to comply. Thus far, I have for her: (she won't be reading this yet)

-4 pairs of cute La Senza Underwear
-Ionic Hair Straightner
-2 pairs of work pants
-1 Breezy summer skirt
-2 work sweaters
-6 boxes of Jello
-4 boxes of Jello Pudding
-4 boxes of Chai Tea Latte Mix
-Crystal serving plate

Still to get are:
-A million boxes of Crystal Light
-Hair straightening heat-protection goo
-Other hair products
-sleeveless work sweater (or 3)
-Cool-whip mix

She may not appreciate this list being posted forever, but I think it is a ogod list, so too bad.

After 3 months of working humiliating and demeaning jobs, it is time to be off again. The life of an artist involves the worst kinds of intrum employment. In the three months I have been back, I have worked:

In an architect's office. The office was wonderful. The people were very nice. (though being asked patronizingly by a 21-year-old desig intern if I was still in high school and if I wanted to be an architect one day (when I grew up) was HUMILIATING) The work involved photocopying for 8.5 hours, and whenever enyone else needed to use the machine, I had to step aside and re-program it. Boring, however it was an honest day's work. Still, at the end of one day, when I had spent the entire DAY copying, then scanning, then electronically compiling a manual, only to be told that the person had just decided to order on and that it hadn't been necessary after all... that was it. Being paid for a job is good. Spending time doing something mundane *and* unneccessary is not good.

Selling orchestra tickets - um, - over the phone. The office was cold. And surrpunded my ladies of the night and their grim-looking pimp. The work paid well, however there were a lot of people who simply did not appreciate (understandably!) being disturbed during supper/bedtime/anytime. The co-workers for the most part were as dumb as paint. As paint is not conscious, one can safely assume that they were pretty stupid. Talk would centre around how one girl used to steal money from Johns pretending to be a prostitute, how another stold money from her Student Loan by falsly claiming she was a student and was upset because she could not get another loan. The one person who was not THAT stupid was a comparitive-literature PHD student who would twin random academic-sounding phrasiological constructs with the purpose of confounding whichever mundane peon who might happen to be in the aural rance of his linguistic gyrations. At least it was funny. Still, the job was boring and cold and repetitive.

Until I leave town I am working as an intrium office manager for a charitable organization. There is not a lot to do and I don't have to come in too much, so it is not a bad job.

Those jobs were just to feed the student loan beast. Musically things are going very well. South Africa, of course. Also I shall be singing in Salzburg this summer, and there are some other plans in the works...

However, this blog shall have to be mostly about travelling, since being specific is just too tempting, and I don't think that publically displaying the minutea of my daily affairs will benefit me.

Tonight the goal is to memorize the words to the last two arias before I coach them tomorrow. Also to pack as much as I can.

Oh, and the best part about going back to Salzburg is that I can make a side trip to HUNGARY. Hoorah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home