...Adventure begins...

Sunday, August 06, 2006

The best things in Norway are...

My entire post just got erased. Not fair, especially since i am not supposed to be using this computer...

Okay.. first i want to reiterate that Oslo is indeed an expensive city. it is ranked as one of the most expensive cities in the world, and it is that. Even McDonalds is double the price, with an extra charge if one wants to eat sitting down in the restaurant (I am being generous with the word restaurant)

At breakfast this morning i was reading about all the expensive things that one can do in Oslo, when I had a breakthrough. ¨Just a minute^, I thought, ¨Do I really WANT to see all these museums?¨ Answer: NO! I wanted to do what all fo the Oslo locals were doing, and that was go to the beach.

I took bus 60 to the docks, and rode the ferry to the most populard island on OsloFjord (a Fjord is water, by the way. i always thought it was an island or an iceberg). A nice older couple on the ferry told me to stick to the left side of the island, that the right side was for families and I would not be so comfortable there. When I arrived at the Island i understood. The family beach occupies the right part of the Island. Around a bend to the left is the topless beach, and further around is the clothing optional beach. I settled near the couple of the topless section (as the nice older woman promptly removed her top and bra). Did these strangers know me or what!

As I hiked accross rocks and a field toward this beach, I was in a very good mood. Why was I so cheery?

1- I was nio hungry, and the fab hostel breakfast had been free
2- I had nicked food for lunch, also free
3- I had a bottle of water (well, diet sprite, but it was a hot day and it is nice to have something. The store was all sold out of water)
4- I was about to sunbathe topless (tee hee)
5- Other people were too!

I swam and lay on the rocks, carefully sunscreened. The next time I went for a swim, the nice girl from the next towel (I say next towel but I alas had no towel and raped myself accross the pebbly shald rock face as I lounged) came in too. MUCH more fun to have a swim buddy. She discovered a jellyfish which we carefully avoided, but otherwise the water was scary creature-free. We swam a few more times during the afternoon, and sunbathed on our respective rock faces.

Partway through the afternoon a wasp decided to bit my ankle. Not fair, but what is a trip without an injury Wasp bites HURT! I could not carry on too much, because the nice girl (whose name sounded like a mumble starting with some kind of a vowel) poured some of her special serum on it. She ways that she uses this serum for all injuries. The bottle, written in English, stated that the serum was ecanecia and water, meant to be consumed for a calming effect. Of COURSE it would do nothing when poured upon a throbbing wasp bite. It still hurts, but I am brave!

I did not get burned at all. Thanks for the big bottle of sunscreen mum! Most other people were burned, but I stayed well hidden (at least when the shirt was on) and the sun could not find me.

Iæm not sure what to do for the rest of the day. Tomorrow I am ging to HUK beach. Tuesday probably another beach. These beaches do not have sand or beachy stones. They are shale cliffs ending in water. Getting in and out is awkward and not oo safe, but it is fun.

Email me!

I have not spent even one kroner today! Good for me!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home