...Adventure begins...

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Au revoir to Paris...Guten tag to Munich

Actually I left from ROME - but when I opened this page the title came up - someone else must have used it. Less typing for me, just imagine it says ROMA. (and ciao instead of au revoir) I guess the ready-made title didn´t save any effort after all...

So, 11:36 on a train (yes, that is hours. Almost twelve hours), and I am here in Germany. We travelled north from Rome to Bologna and then to Verona and then into Austria, through the gorgeous mountains, and then into Germany. There were farmhouses and lakes and it was so pretty. I looked out the window and knit a hat to match a scarf I had knit. Now I have a pretty fall set to wear if it ever gets chilly. I had a seat by the window and managed to sit alone the entire time. On a train ride that long, even greeting someone else is dangerous - one hello and you are sudden 11:36-hour companions. Nein Danke!

My body is not train-happy. My fingers are really stiff, so not much typing. The trip was uneventful. The hotel here is gorgeous - typical business hotel, but after last night it is just heaven. I checked in, took a quick shower, and hiked the km or so to Oktoberfest. There is so much to write about Oktoberfest, and I am so tired! Here are some of the highlights (I will elaborate later)

-Liederhosen on the men. Tres funny. Not just fat jolly men, but the 20-year olds who would usually not be seen dead in anything that is not übercool. The little shorts are funny. The rolled socks are funny. I wish my dad would dress in hosen (maybe once)!
-Some of the women are wearing dirndls, but most of the younger girls are dressed in slutted-out dresses and aprons. Barmaid-style, with bosoms spilling over and much petticoat and leg showing.
-The kids´rides there included a pony ride with real ponies and a train ride around a garden filled with theose stupid red-capped gnomes
-The beer tents! SOO funny!
-The live oompah-band that accompanied the spinner ride.
-The mouse circus. Thisis the only thing I bought a ticket to see. 300 white mice playing on boxes and running accross tightropes
-Everyone was wearing gingerbread hearts with messages around their necks. Better the boyfriend, (or drunker) the bigger the heart. I bought a modest 1.5€ heart - yum!

There is so much more. I am starving though - I haven´t eaten since 10:30 this morning (it is 9:30 pm) and I bought a salad and pretzel and yoghurt drink. It is handy being beside the station - little supermarktes with cheap eats (re not eating all day - the train didn´t ever STOP to let us get off for a moment. Hm!!)

1 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger la petite lotte said…

    "Barmaid-style, with bosomes spilling over and much leg showing."

    OooOOo! Yes! I saw many of these outfits in Munich. They have special stores for people to buy Oktoberfest clothes. I didn't see any use for one of these beer wench dresses in Canada, which is good because they were expensive and I VANTED one.

    And the hearts! Yes, a boyfriend is supposed to be nice and get a heart cookie for a girl. How sweeeet!

    You are lucky to see Oktoberfest!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home