...Adventure begins...

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A bit about Sulmona

Sulmona is an ancient city, nestled amid foothill-mountains. I don't really know the difference. They are awfully high, and they go above the tree-line but below the snow line. The city is devided into the new city and the centro storico (historical centre), which is near where I am staying, and the hot place to be. Not hot as in temperature - it is FREEZING here, but all day people meander from piazza to piazza, looking at the shops.

On Saturday, when I arrived in Sulmona and was at the far hotel, I started to walk to the Centro Storico, and was asking directions of 3 men when they offered me a ride there, since they pointed to a far-off cathedral tip and said that was the city. Now, I know that rides with strangers is not generally a good idea, but an executive decision was made by my feet (and I kept a hand on the doorknob so I could hop out if necessary) and I took the ride. In the CS I was met by crowds of people just hanging out. The teenages were on the steps of the church flirting. The old men were by a statue, smoking and watching the people. Everyone was looking at confetti-flowers and munching gelato and pizza and walking arm-in-arm around the narrow streets. Even teenage boys kissed on the cheeks when they joined each other. I ate dinner at a restaurant where the waitress took personal offence that I was sitting alone at a table, and dragged the other lone diner over to eat with me. After the meal I walked to the taxi stand to find a ride back to the hotel. There were no taxis. There was, however, one of the judges of the competition, who talked french. She made a reservation for me at her hotel, and showed me to another taxi stand (no taxis there either), where a local man leisurely eating an ice cream cone offered to drive me back to the hotel. Aren't people nice!!

On Sunday all the stores were closed but the confetti stores. There is a 'keep stores closed on sunday' movement here, with signes on the shop windows. On Monday it was the 'riposa seminale' and most of the shops were closed also (strangely enough, in the evening, the only places open were confetti flower shops, and children's clothes stores). Today is Tuesday. Many shops are still closed. Also they all close mid-day for a nap.

It is time to run to rehearsal and to get my free food vouchers. Send good wishes for tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home