...Adventure begins...

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Wednesday Already!

It had been a while since I have written anything - it is not that I am not doing anything, but a lot of what goes on here in everyday life is not necessarily interesting.

I am in an Internet cafe this afternoon (there is not actually a cafe, but there are computers) in Hatfield, the student district of Pretoria. I am sorting through emails, and waiting for sis to finish work, since this afternoon we are going for..... pedicures!

I guess Pedis are not really Stouh-African, but I have never had one before, they are really cheap here, and I am excited. There is even a beauty salon in the gated golfing community where my sis lives.

Let's see, what is new:...

The telephone is still broken.

The alarm worked for 1 day and is broken again.

The TV is fixed, but there are better things to do here than watching TV, and the memory card for my camera has broken somehow also.

This morning the gardener and his two assistants came for the weekly beautification of sister's lawn. The British head gardener knocked on the door and asked me if I had put the kettle on so tht I could make him some tea. Now, come on... just because I gave him tea 2 weeks ago is no reason why he should expct me to make him a little tea party every time he comes! And whenI gave the gardeners water, he praised me for being 'too kind to them' and 'spoiling them'. It is 28 degrees and really sunny and one of the guys was only 15 or 16 years old! It is as if aparthied still exists sometimes...

The exciting news this week is that I have been invited to perform concerts in Zambia (!) and Mozambique (!!!). We are still settling the details, but it means exciting trips (I was going to Zambia anyway withsis, but doing a concert there would make it even better)

Also, this Friday I am going to an AIDS orphanage/school with a group of the Canadian wives. I have so many toys and dollies and clothes from Canada for them, but I would rather give them out with Wendy there. Still, it will be fascinating!

The High Comission is having a photo contest here. I need to take the perfect photo! I need to win!!

That is all for now, I have to actually get something done before my meeting with the Zambian cultural coordinator...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home