...Adventure begins...

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The best presents

Thank you to:

W who gave me the travel pillow without which I would not have been able to sleep at all last night

A whose translator has - from cockroach to kindness - gotten me through 4 countries thus far this month

M and D whose great backpack is sooo handy!

They actually have Belgian waffles here, with pears and apples in them... num num!

Also the couple I am staying with does not understand me. Some of it is vocabulary: they asked if I wanted a tartière (or something) of stale pain; I thought the word was morceau. I said so and they laughts at me once for not understanding tartière and once for using a funny word like morceau. I do not do well when ridiculed. It takes a lot of energy to maintain a pleasant, interested expression, when they talk about the same boring things (like Soccer, which of course they called Football. I tried to explain that we have Am Football and Football but they thought I was talking about rugby or someting and laughed at me again), for the 567th time that hour.

They keep not understanding when I say something, so a "no thanks" can take 3 minutes to express. I want OUT! Cry! I never want to be a houseguest like this again, but it keeps on happening!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home