...Adventure begins...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A morning of adventure

...but first, a few words on why Itlay is just so special. I got a bit weary of imagining why things are the way they are, so I started actually asking questions, and I learned a couple of interesting things:

First, I asked if I could take a bus to the station to catch the train. There are no sensible things like schedules at the bus stops, and there are not even really any marked bus stops, so I was a bit confused. The answer I received was this: "Well, you could take the bus, but it does not always come when it is supposed to, and it does not always go where it is supposed to go." Okay.

Then I asked about the train. Why should it take 3.5 hours to travel the 140km to Roma? The train did not feel like it was going that slowly, although we stopped a lot. The answer was that there is only ONE TRACK from Pescara to Roma (with Sulmona in the middle) and on that track run both trains. So, they of course have to pull over often to let the oncoming train thunder by. Well, of course.

**

This morning I got up TOO EARLY, and went on an avventura, with one of the other singers who had his own car. He has a fidenzata, so I did not worry about going off in a car with him, and as long as he talked about himself he was happy.

First we drove to an ancient cloister and it was locked. The we drove to an ancient church and it was closed also. It was quite an adventure, you can imagine! (And here is a hint for all you guys: When you explain precisely WHAT you have to do on the toilet and why you need to find one immediately, no matter how sweet and smiling the girl acts, she is utterly disgusted inside!)

While I waited outside I did see an enormous fat praying mantis. And the cloister, though locked, had many abandoned buildings, where we explored - old wallpaper and fireplaces all falling into ruin. In the first city (called - ominously - St. Battiste di Perricole or something involving danger) we saw about 4 people, and one of them was actually crazy. He leaned out of his window and started to call for my companion to come upstairs and make him some coffee. Now! When he was refused, he pointed at me and started demanding the same thing, but when the Bass explained that I was Canadese, he did not pursue us. Apparently even in abandoned mountain towns it is known that Canadians just can't make coffee.

Living free has been lovely. The meals at the restaurants are delicious, and it is fun to spend the day with singers (fun for a WHILE)

Tonight the results of the semi-finals are posted....I am possibly supposed to sing in Roma tomorrow in another competition, so if I make the finals it will be a pain juggling everything. Of course, I would rather make the finals, but we'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home