...Adventure begins...

Monday, August 07, 2006

Bvgdøy Day

I have had a very enjoyable day thus far, and I did not even step FOOT in an H&M!

I took the 30 bus this morning to Bvgdøy, which is a peninsula (I love that word.. peninsula.. it is so nautical) and visited two museums. The first was a Viking musum, with two massive viking boats that had been later used as burial vessels and subsequently discovred.. like the pyramids, but a boat. Wow, the Noresmen knew how to build a boat. They even had nails back then. I was very impressed with all of the weaving and gold and brass and the decorations on the boats.

I walked down to Huk beach and waded in the water until the loosely tended naked toddler wading beside me gurgled and started peeing. I know that the ocan is not that clean, but ew.

The second museum was like Fort Edmonton Park but with villages and time periods relating to Norway. It was a bit like being in a Sierra game. Buildings were everywhere, and you just had to wander until one was discovered with an open door and some action inside. Some of the buildings closed for a while and then opened againg.. yes, very much like Sierra!

I watched a music demonstration (when I asked what the pretty song was, the `authentic` Norwegian girl sheepishly admitted that she had been retailing us with a SWEDISH fold melody. Oops!

The best part of the museum was the èxtreme makeover`when they chose a girl and turned her into a Norwegian noblewomen. I of course hoped to be chosen to make a specticla of myself, but I was not that disappointed in my role of spectator. The whole thing was just too funny, and I captured it all on tape!

First the authenticlly dressed maid announced that she would be putting on a play. She was the maid, and she was 35 years old (she was really about 24). Unfortunately. even though there was only one audiance member who spoke or understood Norwegian (the chosen girl`s friend) the script was, unfortunately, in Norwegian, but we would be given a piece of paper explaining the action, and we would know that the play began when the authenticlly-dressed girl put on her maid`s cap, and the play would end when the cap was removed.

The English version of the script (excerpt):

"The 17-year-old bride to be dressed for an English-style afternoon tea party arranged to plan the wardrobe for her wedding.

"Karen enters, dressed in her underclothes, to try on her new dress.

"Clean shift, new stockings made from the highest quality cotton all the way up to her knees - and no lice in the hair today!"

I almost wet my pants. "no lice in th hair...today" Poor girl. Then the extremely skinny volunteer was still too large for the dress to do up, so the entire costume had to be removed and the corset strings tichtened until the girl was purple i the face and looked like she was about to faint. And all the time the ddressing was going on the ´maid` was chattering on in incomprehensible Norwegian.

Great morning. I am so tired though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home