...Adventure begins...

Monday, August 21, 2006

The long road to Salzburg

I am actually at the Mozarteum - I cannot BELIEVE everything went smoothly. Relatively.

I last updated the Blog from Krakow. After typing I went out to withdraw cash and then get some sleep. Well, the $ that the bank was supposed to transfer LAST WEEK to my accessible account was not transferred. I should not have expected competency. Luckily I was prepared with back up cash, and I scrimped my way through the weekend. In just a few hours the bank will open up and I can call them and rant.

Sleep went over almost as well as withdrawing money. There was a drinking party in my dorm at 1am. I explained to the hostel staff member that this hostel does not advertise itself as a 'party hostel' (some do) and I expected that I would be able to sleep. She shrugged and answered that partying is what Krajow is all about. I did NOT answer that seeing where my relatives were systematically murdered was what Krakow was also all about, but I appeared angry enough that I was moved to a private room.

The noise continued. I exited my room and pointed to the 10:30 - quiet hour sign, but she said that there was nothing she could do. I told her that it is a good thing that we get to rate the hostels and it is a shame that I am so unhappy in a 96% rated hostel.

The next morning the manager came in especially to apologize to me for the noise and the dirt (there had been toenail clippings on my bed when I arrived), and refunded my money for that night. Hurrah! More cash! I spent the morning walking to all of the synagogues, the 2 Jewish museums and around the Krakow ghetto, and then caught my train to Salzburg (via Slovakia (!) and Vienna) with two whole minutes to spare.

In my compartment was a Japanese student, a talkative Polish lady, and a young mother and her 3-year-old daughter. We communicated with gestures and shared apples that the old lady had brought. The 6-hour ride was not so bad. The 3-hour ride from Vienna to Salzburg was full and loud, but I arrived in Salzburg and splurged on a cab (hurrah!) to take me to the residence.

The doors were locked. There was nobody at my residence. I stood outsied alone after the cab left, contenplated sleeping on the lawn, and heard the buzzing of a mosquito-like creature. Mosquito bites? No! I started banging and calling, and soon another student came and let me in.

He was so nice! There was an unlocked empty room next to his, and I stayed in there. Nobody knew about it, and I saved a night's charge!

Today I was given my actual room, and went to the Mozarteum to audition for the masterclass. It is not a fair system. Everyone pays and auditions after they arrived, and only some are allowed to actually sing. There were 36 people auditioning for 15 places in my class. I am one of the lucky ones, but it is still not fair.

That is all for now, I am so tired and I have to buy some groceries and call the bank. It is so HARD not having computer access when there are things to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home