...Adventure begins...

Friday, August 18, 2006

Evening at the Yiddish Theatre

This has to be brief because I am catching the train to Krakow really early tomorrow and I am not packed yet (big surprise).

I saw a great play at the Yiddish Theatre tonight. It was mostly in Polish and only a tiny bit in Yiddish. That was sort of a disappointment, as the only Polish words that I could recognize were: gindobre, ginquen, (ignore horrible spelling). pan, pani, and Schvetska (which is the name of the street my grandfather grew up on and means 'Swedish' in Polish.) It was a slice of Jewish life in the slums from the beginning of the century. Now, I don't want to make many personal statements on the Internet, because anyone can read them, but I did feel that it was very ironic that the theatre celebrating Jewish life in Eastern Europe (probably the only one) is located only a few blocks from where these people were all shot or shipped away to be gassed. Yup, that definitely defines irony more than anything else I have seen yet.

I even bought a Yiddish magazine for my bubby!

The girl beside me has swelling bites just like I usually do. Eek! That means the mosquito are out - I just saw one while I was typing this. The rain today must have HATCHED them all. Oh NO!

Mum, you would be very proud of me. R too. After the play was over I took a CAB back to the hostel. No walking in the rain! Actually I was late for the play and could not find the theatre (there are two or three streets with almost the same name), so I hopped in a cab and made it just in time. The 2km cab ride (at night) back to the hostel cost (with a generous tip) a whopping 10 zloty. That is 2.50!!! Good thing I did not know about cheap cabs or I would not have had all the fab exercise. I must have walked over 10km today!!

Nothing else. I am very curious how my gerbils are faring at home, but alas nobody has told me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home