...Adventure begins...

Sunday, September 03, 2006

I love this city!

I had a clever title but I am so tired, I just forget what it it... oh right,

Having my cake...and eating it too!

Todaz I woke up early - no I woke up at 4 am when the drunken girls came in, and 6 when the drunken guz 1 came in, and at 640 when drunken guy 2 came in. Then I woke up again at 8 and dragged myself out of mz pallet and out of mz loft and down the many stairs and accross the bridge to the Gellert hotel.

Mineral baths! I was feeling extremely healthy (twix bar breakfast nonwithstanding...oops, I probablz had more calories todaz than I have had in the last month combined!) when, ready for mineral goodness, I padded to the edge of the thermal bath...and scraped mz foot on a piece of rough stones. I was wearing SHOES! I sat in the bath while the blood swirled awaz dramatically and tried not to let anzone see. After all, it was not like I ARRIVED at the bath with an open sore, it had happened right THERE. An hour in the thermal bath. Also playing in the outdoor wave pool.

After that to a Kosher restaurant beside the synagogue for a lunch of hummous with fried mushrooms on top. YUM.

Then to the memorial of where Hungarian Jews were shot into the Danube. Zesterdaz Edit had told me a storz of a 12 zear old girl who was a swimmer and when she was shot it was not a fatal wound and she managed to swim accross to Pest and survive. The memorial is verz good, but there is no placque, so tourists pose and act sillz at a spot where silliness is not at all appropriate.

Then to the Terror museum, in the old Gestapo hearduarters. This was averz graphic museum of the treatment of prisoners under the Gestapo and Soviet regime. V. Graphics. The gallows were still there, and I watched a video showing corpses in all sorts of horrible states. For some reason, todaz was free student day, so I got in free. That was nice anyway. There were isgns sazing that photographz was not allowed, but since that is what it says all over Budapest and never followed, I took a photo of an old soviet tank and got in TROUBLE. The man made me erase the photo IN FRONT OF HIM *hee hee, 'undelete last' is a gerat feature*. I understand. auschwitz would have been a lot better if pictures were not allowed. I just don't like getting into trouble. I was more subtle with the other pictures I took!

I had wanted to see the old military prison but I had no idea where it was located. The girl in the Terror gift store searched on the Internet for me until she found a reference that mentioned the new name of the street (many street names were changed under communism). The are was not great, but I walked down the street until I found a building with bars on the window and a placque saying something about the war years. I think that was it...?

After that I met a friend at the sznagogue for an opera concert. She could not go, but she arrived with a friend who speaks French, se the friend and I went to watch the opera recital. At the intermission Lucia *friend* decided that cake might be more fun than another 2 hours of opera, so we escaped to a hungarian cafe. Hoorah, I had WANTED to go to one of the charming cafes, but I had not wanted to go alone. SO much fun.

We had cake. Apple pie cake with cream cheese, and blueberry crepes. I know that I say a lot of sad places today, but unlike - saz, Krakow - this city does not cover up the things that had happened in the past.

I love Art Nouveau.

On to Brussles tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home