...Adventure begins...

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Kol Nidre

I am a guest tonight and tomorrow in a lovely apartment in the hills of Buda. I sang tonight at the Kol Nidre service, and shall sing at the Yom Kippur service tomorrow. No hostel for a busy singer, which is for the best, as one of the girls at the hostel - a very nice but hacking girl from Malaysia - has a horrible cold...cough cough.

I went for the Kol Nidre dinner at the house of the rabbi and her husband. She is Hungarian, and he is a physacist, originally from Nebraska.

Now, I am sorry. I. Do. Not. Like. Jewish. Food.

Unless it involves bagels. Fatty chicken soup I expected. But then they asked me: "Would you like a potato in your bowl? Or a carrot? Onion? Neck? Liver? Heart???"

EWwwwww Offal soup.

I managed to find their house using the public transit system. I am so tired and I want to talk with my host more so I am not going to write more tonight.

The husband of my host is the Chazzin at the Dolhny street synagogue - the second biggest in the world. It seems that at YK he feels too religious to drive to work (fair enough. It is an orthodox synagogue), and so he sleeps in an apartment beside the synagogue, and his son went too this year. Thus, I do not feel as if I am imposing one bit - we are having lots of fun, just the two of us. The wife (ummm.. name?) goes to the reform shul (as she said, there are already 3ööö people listening to my husband.. he does not need 3öö1) and she is a lot of fun.

4 days.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger ChannahShira said…

    4 More days!!! Potato in chicken soup sounds delicious - and so - Hungarian!

    I can't wait to hear more details about your experiences at the synagogue.

    4 more days and you will return to beautiful, sunny, western Canada where the leaves are yellow and bronze and the air is crisp and cold at night.

    I will be thinking about you as I sing tonight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home