...Adventure begins...

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Rainy Rome III

The movie has just ended, and I think that I should add a couple of detailsaboutmy day before I completely forget them. Then I have to change into dry clothes.After awhile it is wasy to forget the wet and cold, but I have been wet and cold since 10 am...brr!



Things I saw today: Whatever river it is flowing through Rome was really wild, and there were all sorts of things bobbing around in the water: Huge tree trunks, colourful pop bottles, and half a dozen soccer balls. They were dancing in the choppy water and I enjoyed watching them - simple pleasures!

The church of the Trastevere, which had a beautiful illumanated altar. I was snapping a picture, when the light switched off. Apparently, to light up the altar (and this was during a service) one must insert a coin in the light-the-altar toll machine(!)

One of the flower sellers was selling something that looked exactly like a stalk of teeny pumpkins. How neat was THAT!

The tomb of the unknown soldier was interesting up close, and at the Vatican, the Swiss guards were dressed in rain capes (did you know, their outfits were designed by Michaelangelo? Yes, THAT Michaelangelo - the ninja turtle)

I also saw the most luscious red woolen coat. I have the biggest weakness for flared woolen coats. I must have stood for 10 minutes, gazin at it (tres exciting, I know)

I returned to the shop where I had bought a little pendant at the other day, to buy tallit clips for my mum. The store was closed when I got there (riposa), but I walked around and looked at the Gucci and the Escada windows until it opened again at 3. The nice man who had been there the otherday was not there, and in his place there was an elderly woman, who did not talk English. I mentioned that her husband had been so nice and patient theo ther day while I was looking at necklaces, and we startedt talking (I found the best tallit clips too!) in Italian about all sorts of things - how the mad was really her brother, and the tourist industry, and the price of potatoes, etc. etc. She was so sweet! She insisted on wrapping up the tallit-clip stones in the prettiest box in tissue paper and a pretty bow - it was such a cute store, too!

I even had a Eurotrip moment at the Vatican. A well-dressed man started slirting with me, and I was polite but aloof (hard to do in Italian) but he still asked me to go with him to "parliamo". Hm... parliamo my ass.. time to run!

I just want to write a few words on disappointment. Not the crushing kind of 'my favourite shirt just fell apart in my hands' disappointment, but rather when something that one has looking forward to just is not how they expected it (sorry if I sound vague - Napoleon Dynamite is on now and I am watching and typing). One personal example is SNORKELING. Although I adore snorkeling, I did not imagine it involved swallowing so much ocean. Another is... actually this is hard. Most things I look forward to trying are worth looking forward to trying. However, today I experienced a bitter moment. Chesnuts roasting on an open fire do not taste as I had imagined: smoky and crisp. No. They taste like Lima Beans. I ABHORE lime beans. They are squishy and..ugh! NEVER again. EW.

I can't even think with the movie on, and I just remembered that I am carrying the evil nuts. I have to dump them and trhy to sew the umbrella back together.

2 days until Budapest. I cannot wait!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger ~ruthie said…

    I am thoroughly reading of your European adventures, and wish that I could be experiencing the same. It sounds like a wonderful experience, and I look forward to following the rest of your travels.
    thank you for sharing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home