...Adventure begins...

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Being Generous is easy...

There were two girls in my dorm from Hong Kong, and they wanted to go to Verona today. They wanted to know if they could look at my travel book about Verona. Now, as the travel book came off the Free Book Shelf at the hostel (one of the best reasons to stay in a hostel!) I could just rip out the section on Verona. The expression on their faces. I RIPPED a BOOK...for THEM. They thanked me and thanked me and were so excited.

Now, usually I don't go around ripping books for pleasure, but not carrying a heavy pack is more important than carrying a book extolling the virtues where I have not or have already been. Besides, I recognized that expression - that is how *I* looked 3 weeks ago when another traveller ripped out her map of Pompeii to give to me.

It will be hard to part with the book, despite it missing the section on Rome and newly missing the part on Budapest (hee hee).

It is actually sunny today. I was going to sit around in the hostel for a good chunk of the day but with the sun there is no reason not to have an adventure. (Just a few words first on my roommates I may have written this already, I am not really awake yet and can't remember)

There are 2 people of note in my room. The first is an Aussie prison guard, currently unemployed. She was a woman guard in a man's prison, and she said that she never was flirted with. Can see why! She has pointy rat-teeth which are the strangest gray colour (no milk down under? Kangaroo milk???) and she is tres nice but not that smart. (She plans to waltz into England next week and get a prison-guard job there. Now, I know nothing about the selection of prison guards, but I assume that they do some background check, and that I could not go to - say - Iraq and present myself at a prison, ready for an interview.) She is short like I am so watch out - 5 feet of fury can be dangerous!

The other roommate is a classics major from South Carolina or Seattle or Illinois or somplace random in the US. He is studying in London for a semester, and is on a 2-week semester break. He is a classics major and has the stinkiest feet I have ever - er- smelled. The room becomes full of his FEET whenever he comes in the room. That is not why I am writing about him, though. He is planning to sleep next week on Mount Olympus in Greece (he brought a sleeping bag) because he truly believes that Zeus (or preferably Baccius/Dionyses) will come down during the night. No comment. I chould have been warned as to his geeki-strangeness, as his choice of reading material is Spiderman comics/The Odyssey.

Time to go to breakfast. I am so excited to go to Budapest!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:32 AM, Blogger ChannahShira said…

    Reading about your adventures makes me feel as if I am sharing your trip with you.

    Have a good day today!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home