...Adventure begins...

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Crazy Marrakesh - Part 1

Fist; let me say that I am sorry about all of the typos; but I want to get this down and if i stay too long it aill cost -gasp60 whole cents; and I will melt and die in a puddly mess. Marrakesh is HOT HOT HOT. Probably about 42. It hasd been a crazy day but I hardly bought anything; ahich ; considering my overall financial situation; si good:

I left Rabat at 745 this morning; and unlike 1st class of course; and unlike the traain to fez; ahich had AC and a dining area and a woman on board JUST O CLEAN THE WC, this train had nothing. It was hot and crowded and the bathroom had pee all over and newspaper stuffed in the toilet: eew: The ride was about 5 hours, but I managed to fnd a cab right away, sharing aith a persian from Englans who insisted on paying the 3 dollar fare. After a frustrating time looking for my RIAD, I located the owner of my riadd visiting izth a friend in another riad: Phew, a break from Heros Quest 3 living, at lest for a minute/ And whenever I played Heros Quest I always had the walkthrough handy for ahen I got lost: No walkthrough available of the Marrakesh medina; unfortunately...

My room is SO cute qnd SO moroccon; qnd costs only 100 dirqms; which is 13 dollars/ A lovely ptivate room: After a number of false strts I got to the FAA square and ahich is now a square of utter madness; the activities just building as the day went on:

For example, it is now 815 pm, and in the square are: monkeys, snake charmers, makeshift apothecaries, including antelope heads and live turtles, henna girls; beggars, pickpockets , Berbers, who are selling water from sheepskins, acrobats; storytellers; Koran prayers, spice booths; snail booths; mint tea booths; some sort of gambling booth involving coke bottles and fishing rods, but I am STAYING CLEAR, donkey-taxis, real taxis; policemen, who also serve as themodesty patril, as no intersex touching is allowed in public, musicians, a dentist with a set of pincers and a pile of extracted molars who i suspect makes more money from posnig for pictures than from his actual dentristy, more henna girls; fresh orange juice staalls where a cup of juice costs only 30 dirams - 35 cents, 40 or so makeshift kabob stands where lamb heads and full lambs are roasted oer the spit/ And reside,ts and tourists/ You can imagine the din. and every little while the different immams compete over loudspeakers to call the muslims to prayer.

I had eaten supper . so,e tabooli couscous thing. onn a balcony overlooking the crazyness/ On the way out of the restaurant I met my taxi-persian from befpre and his fiancee, a Breitish immigration staffer, so I went to eat some sorbet with them.

My dqy hqs pretty much been wandering thtough the market, drinking cheap juice (because when else will I be able to drink qll of the fresh OJ I cqn get??) and being lost. Many stories. I bought one ppurse. After a round of extremely vigorous bargaining we agreed on 250 dirams (I know; kind of a pricy purse, but I WOULD have paid that at home, it is so great) aith a matching wallet thrown in for me and one verse and a chorus of La Vie En Rose thrown in for him//a good bargain!

The din outside shows no sign of dying down at all, and as much as I would like to out there, I will arite a bit more so I dont fiorget everything that has baan happening

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home