...Adventure begins...

Friday, September 16, 2005

4O years ago...

...a hypothetical conversation 40 years ago...

"Welcome home, Jacques....how was the office?"
"Oh.. same old, Lili. How was homemaking?"
"Nothing special..hey, chérie, I had a brilliant idea today!"
"Oh? Was it a cooking or cleaning idea?"
"Actually, it WAS. Jacques, I would love to open a little restaurant. Wouldn't it be fun, I could talk to new people all day and I love to cook...I could make those little tartes, and maybe some tomato soup. We could keep some chickens out back! Wouldn't that be so nice?"
"That isn't a bad idea...a restaurant...well, we would have to think of somewhere to build it. You know; perhaps near a tourist attraction so we could get lots of customers. Somewhere where land is cheap. Any ideas?"
"Well, do we have any tourist attractions in this tiny corner of Europe? We don't have a EuroDisney or even an Eiffel tower...stupid French built one first... Do tourists even come here?"
"I have the PERFECT idea... you knoa that old concentration camp down the road a few miles? Loads of turists visit that - I see the tour buses going by. I bet they get awfully thirsty walking around the torture room and the barracks. We could open a pub there...you know, for a pint or Stella Artois after the tour?"
"Brilliant idea! The land isn't being used for anything ELSE..the elderly visitors would love my tartes..."

Eek. The Breendonk pub is like a Dachau Mall (actually I think there is one of those too). How inappropriate!!

***

I must have walked 6 KM today.. MORE actually - about 2 in Antwerp, then at least 2 from Breendonk town to Breendonk memoriam ( by the side of the highway...have you ever walked in mud by the side of a busy highway, watching the rain clouds loom? Definitely tourist plus), and then another km to the tran station in the town beside Breendonk. And now 1KM to get my luggage at the hotel. Au revoir Antwerp, I am going to Namur.

Whereever that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home