...Adventure begins...

Friday, September 16, 2005

Freezing City

It is maybe 5 degrees here today - good thing I knitted that scarf last week. Today is Leave Antwerp day, but later. I left my bags in the hotel and I am going to to visit Breendonk, the Belgian Concentration Camp. That should make me want to leave the area, if the bugs didn't!

It is only 20 km away, and for some reason my Antwerp bus pass gets me there free. Goody.

Yesterday I went to Meschelen to visit the Jewish Deportation Museum. They seemed really glad to have anyone visit (I was the only one there), and after I walked around Meschelen. They had an H&M but not much else.

On the bus ride there a Belgian from Nigeria was flirting annoyingly and - just my luck - he was on my bus on the way back too. Ignoring him was not working, and being blatently rude was not working, so finally I started talking to him, and he told me all about how the African immigrants here are treated like second class citizens. Not fair! He has a bachelor in economics and when he went for an interview at a bank they told him that they only wanted white people at the tills and he could sweep the floors or something. Isn't it nice to live in Canada?

Nothing else, I have to find somewhere to stay tonight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home