...Adventure begins...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Scream and other fun

Oh no! My last day in Oslo is almost over. I donæt want to leave, I adore this city!

I started the day at the city hall (maybe?) watching he guards march back and forth for about 10 mnutes. they had been standing there, but suddenly all the guards from all over the grounds began to march. They didnæt change or anything sensible like that, just hefted their bayonets (REAL bayonets!) and marched.

When the National Gallery opened I went to see the paintings and of course, Edvard Munsch´s (NOT pronounced munch I was sternly told when I asked for directions) The Scream. The original is not a happy painging. It is faded and scraped and looks very drab. The Screams we see are touched up considerably. But is it The Scream, after all...

After wandering in the gallery for an hour I was itching for a pad of drawing paper. I decided to see if I could find an art store. I hopped the 11 tram in the direction of Vigeland park, and got off at a posh-looking stationary store. It was full of drawing pens and expensive pads of papers. luckily, this is the time of year where every store has a sale, and some of the more unpopular colours of pencil (such as black. I didn´t want to argue with the shopkeeper, whose English was impressive, but since when is a BLACK drawing pencil unpopular?) were only 5 kroners. There was one pad onsale. i had wanted the pink bound pas with the white princess on the front. This one was coil-bound and blue, with a baby in a carriage on it. Well, I have nothing against babies, of course! Oh joy! Sale art supplies!

My next stop en route to Vigeland was the Apotheke. My yearly visit! This time I needed a pharmacist to help my wasp bite, which has swollen and hardened and is itching so much I just want to BITE someone! The helpful pharmacist looked at it, said that if I had come in right away she could have treated it, but since my body was angry now she could only sell me a soothing cream.

Luckily, the cream was only a few dollars. Unfortunately, the cream does not work, has gotten one leg of my few pairs of pants filthy, and actually attracts more wasps. After applying the cream I spent most of the day dodging more wasps.

At Vigeland part I sat on the bridge railing and sketched for a while (people took pictures of me and asked if they could look. (What, free attention? YOU want to look at ME? Of COURSE!!) The wasp situation was getting unbearable, so I moved myself to the indoor Vigeland museum, and spent around an hour figuring out how to sketch the naked male figure. I felt very artsy. After I got tired of looking at granite genitalia, I ate my usual lunch of hard boiled eggs and jam sandwiches on the lawn beside a rose garden.

On the way back to my hostel, I made the mistake of stopping at H&M. THREE more H&Ms. It is not my fault that they are beside one another and that they are having crazy sales! I bought: A bikini top to go with the bikini bottom I bought the other day (I know. Topless is more fun, but a girl should be able to cover up if she HAS to). 2$. Three summer hats. 2.30$ The cutest tank top. 4$ (I know, that one was expensive). Two black jackets. One that fits me now and one that is a bit small that will go home and wait for me there. 3.60$ EACH. So I spent 14$ or so and had the best time. Well, it is not like I am paying for food. I am worried about paying too much for food in London. I can keep to a budget when I am alone, but I donæt know if R and I have the same ideas about cheap eats. I have spent 16$ TOTAL on food in the last 4 days, and in London, I spent that in the one meal I had there. And Norway is double the price! I am just a bit worried... Of course, hat Thai meal was to DIE for in London and I want some more now!

Okay, time to find a store that sells Noewegian liquor to get R a small bottle of something, and then on to London. We are giong to have so much fun! And r, if you are reading this, I didnæt mean I donæt want to eat, I am just a bit worried, that is all, because when one is with someone else, eating stale bread and egg whites with pepper is less appealing.

Okay, more later! I am going to have to send some things home...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home